Alice G Herbison
Front end developer based in Edinburgh. Background in user-centred interaction design and prototyping of accessible, responsive and friendly interfaces that meet both user and client needs. Highly detailed-oriented, empathetic and passionate about learning new skills and web technologies.
- CSS3 / Sass
- Go Templates
- RESTful APIs
- agile (SCRUM, Kanban)
- W3C accessiblity guidelines
- Google Analytics, Tag Manager & Data Studio
- VS Code
- JIRA & Confluence
- usability testing & prototyping
- user research
- scoping user flows & mapping journeys
- defining information architecture & content strategy
- templating & wireframing responsive interfaces
Cinema times finderJanuary 2019 - present
A small project to explore RESTful APIs by building a site to search and pull in cinema listings from a public API. Uses Gulp, ES6 (transpiled with Babel) and Sass. Hosted on GitHub Pages and GitHub - view repo.
Working on Wes Bos' resources for React and ES6. Updating knowledge with latest JS syntax and functionality, React components and how to use Firebase as a database source.
January 2015 - January 2019 | Edinburgh
User Experience Designer, Signal (formally Blonde)
- building and iterating prototypes in code
- defining information architecture and site structures
- content strategy and CMS / content type planning (Drupal)
- planning and running usability tests
- conducting and analysing primary user research and interviews
- translating requirements into acceptance criteria
Led the user research, user journeys, site planning, information architecture and template layouts for Street Soccer Scotland, Drinkaware, Robertson, National Galleries of Scotland, City of Glasgow College, and Powderbeds website redesigns, and a power-generator monitoring iPhone application for Aggreko. Clients for smaller pieces of work included RBS, Scottish Friendly, Nando's, Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society and My World of Work (Skills Development Scotland).
- Proposed and led interactive prototyping methods for new online medical research platform, building and maintaining three separate prototype instances running Hugo to illustrate and iterate desired functionality / requirements for each client. Increased ease of remote feedback and testing by providing valuable proof-of-concepts for ideas.
- Conducted user research and acted on findings to redesign online course finder for City of Glasgow College, streamlining search process and filter options to those most valuable to prospective students.
- Championed user research inclusion in projects with small budgets, working within tight timeframes to produce ideas from as much research as possible.
- Used behavioural economic and psychological principles to encourage greater initial investment per ISA account opening for Scottish Friendly which increased average order value by £10 per customer.
- Established a framework for integrating and acting on research findings depending on stage of agile project.
January 2014 | St Andrews
Digital Communications Intern, University of St Andrews
Internship with the Digital Communications team working on new university website on the TERMINALFOUR content management system. Content delivery and management in an agile development process.
June - August 2012 | London
Marketing & Experience Design Intern, ThoughtWorks
- conducted research interviews for persona validation
- designed graduate recruitment marketing materials & copy
- project-managed promotional videos
- created visuals and storyboards to explain brand evolution & current positioning
2014 | Distinction | Carnegie-Cameron Trust Post-Graduate Scholar
MSc Human Computer Interaction, University of St Andrews
- User-centred Interaction Design
- Web Technologies (HTML/CSS/PHP)
- Research Design & Analysis
- Software Engineering Principles
- Object-Oriented Modelling, Design & Programming (Java)
Followed a user-centred design process to design and implement the front-end user interface for the iPhone application DentAnx in Phonegap (HTML/CSS/JS) to help people with dental anxiety track the emotional strength of their anxiety and log pain levels throughout dental treatment as a method of psychological intervention. The work has been published in scholarly journals and has since been fully implemented for iOS and Android.
2013 | 2:1 | Accredited by the British Psychological Society
MA(Hons) Psychology with Film Studies, University of St Andrews
- Cognitive Psychology & Emotional Disorders
- Quantitative and Qualitative Statistics
- World Cinema
- Documentary Film-Making
- Web Technologies
- Internet Programming
- Human Computer Interaction
Received a First for â€˜Perceiving depth with one eye: The effects of reducing cues to picture surface visibility on the qualitative impression of stereopsis in two-dimensional imagesâ€™.
Independent learning & further projects
Supporting a full transition into front-end development by completing online courses and personal projects to further skillset and capabilities.
- adapt cinema project to use React and move to Heroku
- create a responsive family tree interface
- explore data visualisation using D3.js